In the past couple of months we’ve had some fun sourcing a few of the parts, and so we took the opportunity to over stock on those parts we seem to have occasional difficulty sourcing. Usually, we make batches of 500 at a time, and order appropriately.
For example, the USB connectors suddenly dried up, so I have about 1,500 in stock now. Similarly, with the tuner chip, I ordered 1,000 of those too. For a level translator device which obscurely suddenly disappeared from suppliers’ inventories in the package we use, we ordered about 2,000 of those too. Add to that 2,500 SMA connectors too! All of these parts have arrived so we don’t anticipate any problems in supply for some time.
Recently for two parts, we’ve had to use alternative devices. These include the crystal and the USB ESD protection. When we do this of course we have to retest which is time consuming in itself as you can imagine. The good news is that there’s been no measurable change in specification or decrease in reliability.
Many thanks, Howard